In this USA holiday week of Thanksgiving, how can we become a Better Praiser?
Praise is a distinguishing mark of the believer’s life.
Psalm 22:26 The poor will eat and be satisfied; they who seek the LORD will praise him—may your hearts live forever!
Psalm 33:1 Sing joyfully to the LORD, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him.
Psalm 40:3 He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.
Psalm 52:9 I will praise you forever for what you have done; in your name I will hope, for your name is good. I will praise you in the presence of your saints.
Psalm 63:4 I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.
Psalm 71:8 My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.
Psalm 71:22 I will praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, O my God; I will sing praise to you with the lyre, O Holy One of Israel.
Psalm 86:12 I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever.
Psalm 92:1 It is good to praise the LORD and make music to your name, O Most High,
Psalm 96:2 Sing to the LORD, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day.
Psalm 103:2 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits
Psalm 106:12 Then they believed his promises and sang his praise.
Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.
If this is true just from this selection of Psalms, how can you and I become people of praise? What is it that quiets the sweet sound of praise from our lips?
- It is thinking as though my world operates by chance.
- It is being god-less in my thought life.
- It is being self-satisfied or self-congratulatory with my successes.
- It is a Romans 1 and a Hosea 8 mindset that is unthankful and forgetful of my Maker.
So what will renew a heart of praise in me?
- It is a God-centered mindset that sees God for who He is in all of His glory.
- It is a God-centered mindset that enjoys Him as the source of all life and blessing.
- It is a humble response to God with words of thanksgiving for even the smallest expression of kindness.
- It is being Word-filled in my mind and heart.
May God help us to be people who praise the Lord for who He is and what He does. I trust the Spirit’s use of His Word will make all of us Better Praisers.